Anti-Discrimination Law in Connecticut

Connecticut's anti-discrimination law prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and HIV status.

Questions & Answers (Accurate as of February 3, 2015)

Does Connecticut have an anti-discrimination law protecting gay, lesbian, and bisexual individuals from discrimination?

Yes.  In 1991, Connecticut became one of a handful of states to pass a comprehensive anti-discrimination law concerning sexual orientation in employment, housing, public accommodations and credit. In 2007, most of the anti-discrimination laws were amended to include “civil union status”.1—This will be indicated as we discuss the anti-discrimination laws below.

Does it also protect people perceived of as gay, lesbian, and bisexual?

Yes.  The non-discrimination law defines “sexual orientation” as “having a preference for heterosexuality, homosexuality or bisexuality, having a history of such preference or being identified with such preference…”2  The language of “having a history of such a preference,” and the language of “being identified with” should allow a person who is fired because they are (inaccurately) perceived to be gay to invoke the protection of the anti-discrimination law to challenge the firing.

Does it also protect people associated with gay, lesbian, and bisexual individuals?

Not specifically.  But in some situations, if a person is fired from a job or evicted from their home because they hang out with someone who is gay or lesbian, it may be possible to show that they were fired or evicted because the employer or landlord also thought they, too, were gay or lesbian.  This would fall under the language in the law which provides protection to people “being identified with” a same-sex sexual orientation.

Does it protect transgender people?

Yes. On July 1, 2011, Governor Malloy signed into law Public Act 11-55, “An Act Concerning Discrimination,” which adds gender identity or expression to Connecticut’s anti-discrimination laws.  According to the law, “Gender identity or expression” means a person’s gender-related identity, appearance or behavior, whether or not that gender-related identity, appearance or behavior is different from that traditionally associated with the person’s physiology or assigned sex at birth, which gender-related identity can be shown by providing evidence including, but not limited to, medical care, care or treatment of the gender-related identity, consistent and uniform assertion of the gender-related identity or any other evidence that the gender-related identity is sincerely held, part of a person’s core identity or not being asserted for an improper purpose.3

This makes Connecticut the fourth state in New England and the 15th state in the United States to provide explicit anti-discrimination protections for transgender people.  The law went into effect on October 1, 2011.  For more detailed information see GLAD’s and the Connecticut Women’s Education and Legal Fund’s (CWEALF) publication, Connecticut:  Legal Protections for Transgender People, at:


What do the employment provisions say?  To whom does the law apply?

The non-discrimination law forbids employers from refusing to hire a person, or discharging them, or discriminating against them “in compensation, or in terms, conditions or privileges of employment” because of sexual orientation4 or gender identity expression.5 This covers most significant job actions, such as hiring, firing, failure to promote, demotion, excessive discipline, harassment and different treatment of the employee and similarly situated co-workers.

In addition, employment agencies may not participate in discrimination by refusing to properly classify or refer their customers for employment or otherwise discriminate because of sexual orientation6 or gender identity or expression.7  Labor organizations (e.g. unions) may not deny or exclude membership in the union because of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression, or otherwise discriminate against its members because of sexual orientation8 or gender identity or expression.9

The law forbids all of these entities from advertising in such a way as to restrict employment because of sexual orientation10 or gender identity or expression.11

The State of Connecticut and its agencies are forbidden from discriminating based on sexual orientation12 or gender identity or expression13 both in their own employment practices as well as in their provision of services. The law imposes an affirmative obligation on state agencies to adopt rules to enforce the non-discrimination provisions and to establish training programs. Contractors who provide services to the state (and any subcontractors they hire) must also certify in writing that they will not discriminate based on sexual orientation14 or gender identity or expression15 when fulfilling the contract terms.

Does the law apply to every employer in Connecticut?

No.  As broad as the law is, there are several exemptions to its application.

  • An employer must employ 3 or more persons in order to be subject to the non-discrimination law.16
  • An employer, agency or labor organization may defend against a discrimination claim by arguing that a “bona fide occupational qualification” of the particular job is that it has someone in it who is non-gay17 or non-transgender.18  But there are no general occupational exemptions from the reach of the non-discrimination law, and this defense is very rarely successful.19
  • For the scope of an exemption for certain religious employers, see the section below on Religious Exemption to the Prohibitions on Sexual Orientation.
  • The ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps) program, which is established under federal law to provide officers to the U.S. military, may continue to discriminate in its “conduct and administration” at colleges and universities.20

Does Connecticut law forbid sexual harassment on the job?

Yes.  Connecticut law defines sexual harassment as:

“unwelcome sexual advances or requests for sexual favors or any conduct of a sexual nature when (a) submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of an individual’s employment, (b) submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for employment decisions affecting such individual, or (c) such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s work performance or creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment.”21

Can I file a complaint of sexual harassment even if I’m gay?

It is as unlawful to sexually harass a gay, lesbian or bisexual person as it is to harass a non-gay person.  Some harassment is specifically anti-gay, and may be more fairly characterized as harassment on the basis of sexual orientation.  Other harassment is sexual in nature and more appropriately categorized as “sexual harassment.”  Both types of harassment can happen to the same person, and both are forbidden.

Both the United States Supreme Court and several state courts have found same-sex sexual harassment to violate sexual harassment laws.22

Public Accommodations

What is a “place of public accommodation?”

A place of public accommodation is “any establishment which caters or offers its services or facilities or goods to the general public . . .” and you are protected by the non-discrimination laws in such places.23 This definition is intentionally broad--and includes Conneticut Public Schools.

What does the law say about discrimination in places of public accommodation?

Such places may not deny full and equal accommodations, or discriminate in any way because of a person’s sexual orientation24 or gender identity or expression.25  There are a number of irrelevant exemptions in the general law on public accommodation non-discrimination or civil union status.26

A specific law also forbids discrimination at golf clubs on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.27

If a person is denied membership or access to facilities because of sexual orientation (but not civil union status), he or she can file a complaint in Superior Court to restrain further violations and recover actual damages (or at least $250) as well as costs and attorney’s fees.28


What is prohibited by the housing anti-discrimination law in Connecticut?

The housing laws are intended to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation29 or gender identity or expression30 for transactions related to residential housing, whether listing, buying, selling, renting or financing, and whether for profit or not, and whether public or private.  Other practices are forbidden, too, such as advertising in a way limited by sexual orientation or gender identity or expression, representing that a dwelling is not available when in fact it is, denying access to a multiple listing service, or altering the terms of a transaction because of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.

Are any landlords exempt from the housing anti-discrimination law?

The main exemption for sexual orientation to the law allows owners who actually live in a building with not more than four units to disregard the law if they choose31, while for gender identity or expression it is a two-family owner-occupied dwelling.32)


What protections exist under Connecticut anti-discrimination law with regard to credit?

Any person who “regularly extends or arranges for the extension of credit” for which interest or finance charges are imposed (e.g. a bank, credit union, or other financial institution), may not discriminate because of sexual orientation33 or gender identity or expression34 in any credit transaction.

Example: GLAD brought and settled a claim against a credit union which refused to allow an effeminate looking man from applying for a loan until he came back looking more masculine.  A federal court ruled that this stated a claim of sex discrimination.35

Religious Exemption to the Prohibitions on Sexual Orientation and Civil Union Status Discrimination

Religious corporations, associations and educational institutions are sometimes exempt from the law, including the areas of employment, public accommodations, housing and credit discussed above.  These anti-discrimination laws”...shall not apply to a religious corporation, entity, association, educational institution or society with respect to the employment of individuals to perform work connected with the carrying on by such corporation, entity, association, educational institution or society of its activities, or with respect to matters of discipline, faith, internal organization or ecclesiastical rule, custom or law which are established by such corporation, entity, association, educational institution or society.”36  Although the exemption is broad, it is not a carte blanche for an employer to use his or her religious beliefs as justification for discriminating against a gay or transgender person.37

Transgender/Gender Identity Discrimination

What protections exist for transgender people under the discrimination laws?

On July 1, 2011, Governor Malloy signed into law Public Act 11-55, “An Act Concerning Discrimination,” which adds gender identity or expression to Connecticut’s anti-discrimination laws.

Earlier, in a pathbreaking ruling, the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities (CHRO) ruled in November, 2000, that transgendered people may be protected under the law’s existing prohibition of sex discrimination.  The case involved a transsexual and the CHRO ruled in part,

“Unlike several federal enactments, Connecticut law does not contain any exclusion, express or implied, of transsexuals from the general prohibitions against sex discrimination. . . . [T]his CHRO declares that transsexuals . . . may pursue claims of sex discrimination [under Connecticut statutes].”29

In some cases, an individual’s gender identity may be regarded as “a gay issue” by some entities and therefore allow a person to bring a sexual orientation claim.  More to the point, however, in some cases a transsexual or transgender person may have a claim of sex discrimination if he or she is adversely treated at work or in housing.  If the adverse action is triggered by the sense that the individual does not meet the expectations of, or act like, a “real man” or “real woman,” then this can be the basis for a sex-stereotyping claim.30  For more information, see GLAD’s publication, Transgender Legal Issues in New England.

Pursuing a Complaint

How do I file a complaint of discrimination?

If you wish to file a complaint, you should contact an intake officer at one of the regional offices of the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities (CHRO).  The intake worker will discuss your concerns, explain the complaint process and advise you about what help CHRO may be able to provide to you.  If CHRO has jurisdiction, you will be given an appointment to come to a regional office to file a complaint.  Here is the contact information for CHRO’s administrative headquarters and four regional offices:

  • ADMINISTRATIVE HEADQUARTERS 25 Sigourney Street Hartford, CT 06106 PHONE: (860) 541-3400 OR (800) 477-5737 FAX:  (860) 246-5068
  • CAPITOL REGION OFFICE 999 Asylum Avenue, Second Floor Hartford, CT 06105 PHONE: (860) 566-7710 FAX: (860) 566-1997
  • EASTERN REGION OFFICE 100 Broadway Norwich, CT 06360 PHONE: (860) 886-5703 FAX: (860) 886-2550
  • WEST CENTRAL REGION OFFICE Rowland State Government Center 55 West Main Street, Suite 210 Waterbury, CT 06702-2004 PHONE: (203) 805-6530 FAX: (203) 805-6559
  • SOUTHWEST REGION OFFICE 350 Fairfield Avenue, 6th Floor Bridgeport, CT 06604 PHONE: (203) 579-6246 FAX: (203) 579-6950

If you are a state employee, you may file your case directly in court.

For housing complaints only, contact the Housing Discrimination Unit at (800) 477-5737 ext. 3403 or (860) 541- 3403.

The complaint must be in writing and under oath, and it must state the name and address of the individual making the complaint as well as the entity he or she is complaining against (called the “respondent”).  The complaint must set out the particulars of the alleged unlawful acts, and it is advisable also to state the times they occurred.38 There is no charge to file a complaint.

If you are a state employee, you may file your case directly in court.  State employees can skip over the CHRO process entirely.

Do I need a lawyer?

No.  The process is designed to allow people to represent themselves.  However, GLAD strongly encourages people to find lawyers to represent them throughout the process.  Not only are there many legal rules governing the CHRO process, but also employers and other defendants are likely to have legal representation.

What are the deadlines for filing a complaint of discrimination?

For most people, a complaint must be filed with the CHRO within 180 days of the last discriminatory act or acts. 39There are very few exceptions for lateness, and GLAD encourages people to move promptly in filing claims.

Can I file more than one type of discrimination complaint at once, for example, if I believe I was fired both because I am a lesbian and Latina?

Yes.  The state non-discrimination laws for employment forbid taking an action against someone because of sexual orientation as well as civil union status, race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, marital status, national origin, ancestry, present or past history of mental disorder, mental retardation, learning disability or physical disability.40  In housing, the criteria include most of the above as well as “lawful source of income or familial status.”41  Protected classes under public accommodations law include those of employment plus “lawful source of income.”42

What happens after a complaint is filed with the CHRO?43

When you file a complaint with the CHRO, you will be given a packet of information explaining the CHRO procedures and deadlines.  Please review these and follow the deadlines.

After filing your complaint, and within 90 days of receiving the answer of the respondent, the CHRO will review the complaint and answer to determine if any further investigation is necessary.  This is called a merit assessment review (MAR).  Since many cases are dismissed at this stage of the proceedings, it is important that you reply to the respondent’s answer within 15 days of receiving it.

After the MAR, if the case is dismissed, you will be given 15 days to request the right to move your complaint from CHRO into the courts.  If you do not request to remove your complaint from CHRO, there will be a review of your case, and within 60 days a decision will be made to either reinstate your complaint or to uphold the dismissal.

After the MAR, if the case is not dismissed, an investigator will be assigned and a mandatory mediation conference will be held within 60 days.  If negotiations fail to produce a settlement agreeable to all parties, either party or the CHRO can request early legal intervention.  The CHRO has 90 days to act upon this request and make one of the following decisions:

  1. the investigator will continue to collect evidence and will make a decision of “reasonable cause” or “no reasonable cause.”
  2. a Hearing Officer will be appointed to decide the merits of the case in a trial-type hearing.
  3. the complaint will be dismissed.

If there is not a request for early legal intervention, then as in 1. above, the investigator will continue to collect evidence and will make a determination of “reasonable cause” or “no reasonable cause.”  If a finding of “reasonable cause” is made, you can request either to have the case heard at the CHRO or to move it to Superior Court.  If a finding of “no reasonable cause” is made, you have 15 days to request reconsideration.

Note that in housing discrimination cases, the CHRO must complete both its investigation and final disposition within 100 days of when the complaint is filed, unless it is impracticable to do so.44

What are the legal remedies the CHRO may award for discrimination if an individual wins his or her case there?

Employment: may include hiring, reinstatement or upgrading, back pay, restoration in a labor organization, cease and desist orders, and other relief that would fulfill the purposes of the anti-discrimination laws (e.g. training programs, posting of notices.)45

(Note that in housing discrimination cases, the CHRO must complete its investigation within 100 days of filing and the final disposition within one year, unless it is impracticable to do so.)44

Housing: damages (expenses actually incurred because of unlawful action related to moving, storage, or obtaining alternate housing); cease and desist orders, reasonable attorney’s fees and costs, and other relief that would fulfill the purposes of the anti-discrimination laws (e.g. training programs, posting of notices.).45

(Note that when cases are filed in court, emotional distress damages and attorneys’ fees are also available to a successful complainant.  These are not available from the CHRO.)46

Public Accommodations: cease and desist orders, and other relief that would fulfill the purposes of the anti-discrimination laws.47 The CHRO may also order civil fines to be paid to the state.49

Credit: cease and desist orders, and other relief that would fulfill the purposes of the anti-discrimination laws (e.g. allowing person to apply for credit on non-discriminatory terms).50

Should I take my case away from the CHRO and file in court?  How do I do so?

This is a decision you should make with your lawyer.  Greater damages are available to you in state court than at the CHRO, including emotional distress damages and attorney’s fees.

To sue an entity in state court as opposed to the CHRO, you must follow several steps and meet various deadlines.51

  • • Your complaint must have been filed on time at the CHRO (i.e., within 180 days of the last act of discrimination);
  • • Your complaint must have been pending with the CHRO more than 180 days (although if you and your employer agree to request the case’s removal to court, you may do so before the 180 days elapse) or the merit assessment review must have been completed;
  • You must request a release of your complaint from the CHRO for the purpose of filing a court action (which the CHRO must grant except when the case is scheduled for public hearing or they believe the complaint can be resolved within 30 days);
  • You must file your court action within 2 years of the date of filing your complaint with the CHRO; and
  • You must file your court action within 90 days after you receive a release from the CHRO to file your case in court.

Can I also file a complaint for discrimination with a federal agency?

Yes, in many cases. Federal employment non-disrimination law, called Title VII, applies only to employers with at least 15 employees, and complaints must be filed within 180 days of the discriminatory act with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). But if you initially institute your complaint with CHRO and indicate that you wish to have the complaint cross-filed with the EEOC, then the time limit is extended to the earlier of 300 days or 30 days after CHRO has terminated the case.52 (People who work for federal agencies are beyond the scope of this publication.)

Someone who brings a claim of discrimination may sometimes pursue protections under both state and federal law. This is true because there may be overlapping provisions of state and federal law. For example, Title VII forbids employment discrimination based on age, sex, race, religion, and disability (which includes HIV status), but does not expressly forbid discrimination based on "sexual orientation" or "gender identity."

Because a growing number of courts and government agencies have recognized that the root of sexual orientation and gender identity discrimination is sex discrimination, the federal EEOC has recently indicated that it will accept both "gender identity" and "sexual orientation" discrimination complaints in order to investigate whether the complainant may have experienced prohibited "sex" discrimination.

For more information go to:

GLAD recommends that, where there may be overlapping state and federal jurisdiction, you explore filing with CHRO first but keep in mind the possibility of pursuing a federal claim as well. If you have a sexual orientation or gender identity complaint, you should check off "sex" as well as "sexual orientation" or "gender identity" as the bases for your claim and request the CHRO cross-file your complaint with the EEOC.

LGBT people who are discriminated against in housing may also be able to file a complaint with the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) in addition to CHRO. For more information go to:

Are there other options for filing a complaint for discrimination?

Possibly yes, depending on the facts of your particular situation.

  1. Union: If you are a member of a union, your contract (collective bargaining agreement) may provide additional rights to you in the event of discipline, discharge or other job-related actions.  If you obtain relief under your contract, you may even decide not to pursue other remedies.  Get and read a copy of your contract and contact a union steward about filing a complaint.  Deadlines in contracts are strict.  Bear in mind that if your union refuses to assist you with a complaint, you may have a discrimination action against them for their failure to work with you, or for failure of duty of fair representation.
  2. State or Federal Court: After filing with the CHRO or EEOC, or both, as discussed above, a person may decide to remove his or her discrimination case from those agencies and file in court.  There are rules about when and how this must be done as discussed above.  In addition, a person may file a court case to address other claims which are not appropriately handled by discrimination agencies.  For example, if a person is fired in violation of a contract, or fired without the progressive discipline promised in a handbook, or fired for doing something the employer doesn’t like but which the law requires, then these matters are beyond the scope of what the agencies can investigate and the matter should be pursued in court.  If a person has a claim for a violation of constitutional rights, such as a teacher who believes his or her free speech or equal protection rights were violated, then those matters must be heard in court.

What can I do if my employer fires me or my landlord threatens me for filing a complaint of discrimination?

It is illegal for any employer to retaliate in these circumstances, and the employee could file an additional complaint against the employer for retaliation.  “Retaliation” protections cover those who oppose any discriminatory employment practice, as well as those who participate in certain other proceedings.52  If the employer takes action against an employee because of that conduct, then the employee should be able to state a claim of retaliation.53

Likewise, it is illegal for a landlord to “coerce, intimidate, threaten or interfere with” anyone who file a complaint.54

What can I do to prepare myself before filing a complaint of discrimination?

Contact GLAD Answers by live chat or email at or by phone at 800-455-4523 (GLAD) any weekday between 1:30 and 4:30 p.m. to discuss options.

As a general matter, people who are still working with or residing under discriminatory conditions have to evaluate how filing a case will affect their job or housing, and if they are willing to assume those possible consequences. Of course, even if a person has been fired, or evicted, he or she may decide it is not worth it to pursue a discrimination claim.  This is an individual choice which should be made after gathering information to make an informed choice.

Some people prefer to meet with an attorney to evaluate the strength of their claims.  It is always helpful if you bring an outline of what happened on the job that you are complaining about, organized by date and with an explanation of who the various players are (and how to get in touch with them).  Try to have on hand copies of your employee handbooks or personnel manuals, any contracts, job evaluations, memos, discharge letters and the like.  If you are concerned about a housing matter, bring a copy of your lease, along with any notices and letters you have received from your landlord.


1 Although SB899 abolishes civil unions in Connecticut as of October 1, 2010, the Connecticut General Assembly has not removed “civil union status” as a prohibited basis for discrimination
2 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-81a
3 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-51(21)
4 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-81c(1)
5 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-60(a)(1)
6 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-81c(2)
7 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec.c. 46a-60(a)(2)
8 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-81c(3
9 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-60(a)(3)
10 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-81c(4)
11 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-60(a)(6)
12 See generally Conn. Gen. Stat. secs. 46a-81g to 46a-81o
13 See generally Conn. Gen. Stat. secs 46a-70 & 46a-71
14 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-81i(d)
15 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-60(a)(1)
16 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-51(10)
17 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-81c
18 See generally Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-60
19 See, e.g. The Evening Sentinel et al. v. National Organization for Women, 168 Conn. 26, 36 (1975)(“A BFOQ exists only if no member of the class excluded is physically capable of performing the tasks required by the job”); Conn. Institute for the Blind v. CHRO, 176 Conn. 88 (1978)(“The standard for a BFOQ purposely imposes a heavy burden on an employer whose refusal to hire is prima facie discriminatory”).
20 Conn. Gen. Stat.  sec. 46a-81q
21 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-60(a)(8)
22 Compare Oncale v. Sundowner Offshore Services, 523 U.S. 75, 118 S.Ct. 998 (1998)(man can sue for sexual harassment by other men under federal sexual harassment laws); Melnychenko v. 84 Lumber Co., 424 Mass. 285, 676 N.E.2d 45 (1997)(same-sex sexual harassment forbidden under state law)
23 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-63(1)
24 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-81d
25 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-64(a) (1) & (2)
26 See Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-64 (b)
27 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 52-571d (b) & (c)
28 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 52-571d (g)
29 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-81e
30 generally Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-64c(a)
31 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-81e(b)
32 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-64c (b)(1)(B)
33 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-81f
34 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-66(a)
35 v. Park West Bank, 214 F.3d 213 (1st Cir. 2000)
36 For sexual orientation, see Conn. Gen. Stat. 46a-81p and for gender identity or expression, see Public Act 11-55, sec. 37
37 Compare Hartwig v. Albertus Mangus, 93 F.Supp.2d 200, 211, 217 (2000)(gay man who alleged breach of contract because of his sexual orientation could have his claims of breach of contract, defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress heard without violating free exercise or establishment clause principles).  (Note that the statutes pertaining to discrimination based on characteristics other than sexual orientation contain no express religious exemption.  See CHRO v. Archdiocesan School Office, 202 Conn. 601 (1987)(lower court erred in dismissing case against Catholic School on basis of wholesale religious exemption; issues were not ripe for adjudication)
38 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-82
39 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-82(e)
40 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-60
41 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-64c
42 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-64
43 See generally, Public Act 11-237
44 For sexual orientation Conn. Gen. Stat. sec 46a-81(e) and for gender identity or expression Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-64c(f)
45 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-86 (a - c)
46 See Bridgeport Hospital v. CHRO, 232 Conn. 91 (1995); Delvecchio v. Griggs & Browne Co., Inc., 2000 Conn. Super. LEXIS 1149 (April 17, 2000)(“The CHRO is without authority to award a prevailing party attorneys’ fees, punitive or compensatory damages or damages for emotional distress.”)
47 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-86 (a, c)
48 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-81e(f)
49 Conn. Gen. Stat.  sec. 46a-86 (a); sec. 46a-64 (c)
50 Conn. Gen. Stat.  sec. 46a-86 (a); sec. 46a-98 (outlining additional damages available for cases filed in Superior Court within one year of discriminatory act)
51 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-101 to 46a-102
52 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec. 46a-60 (4)
53 Compare Provencher v. CVS Pharmacy, 76 F.E.P. Cases (BNA) 1569 (1st Cir. 1998)(upholding federal retaliation claim of gay man)
54 Conn. Gen. Stat. sec 46a-64c(a)(9)